Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pregnancy and self image....

I came across this http://offbeatmama.com/2012/01/loving-self-while-pregnant today and thought it was lovely.
If you don't want to read it, it's basically about a girl that hated her body until she got pregnant (while on the pill) and her body image changed because she realized she was making another life.

Now I've never been a skinny person. I've always been curvy/well covered/chubby, whatever you want to call it. It has never bothered me - I always say, if people don't like me or the way I look, they don't have to look at me.

When I met my now husband almost 4 years ago,  he told me that one of his favorite things about me was that I was confident it reminded him of the women back home in Montreal. He said that women in Montreal stand up for what they are doing, wearing and saying. I took that as a compliment because I had never really thought about myself like that. I've always just done my thing.

So all of that being said, when I found out I was pregnant I didn't even think or care about the weight gain, stretch marks and all the hard work that would come after the baby was born. I was too excited about the thought of being a mom and starting a family with my new husband (we were married September 3rd, conceived October 8th or 9th and found out that we were having a baby October 24th).

Very early in my pregnancy I gained 10-15 pounds and then lost 5 and then completely lost my appetite and 15-20 pounds :)
Between 11-13 weeks my little baby started to grow and I started to get a mini bump. When that bump started my body shape changed. I went from having a muffin top to having a belly that stuck out and not across!
I personally think I look better now than I did before. I love my new pregnant body - I celebrate every pound gained, every new stretch mark, and the fact that I'm making a little baby in there.
I hope our attitudes about self image will be passed on to our kid(s) boy or girl.


Like the story said, there's so many things in the internet on how to build self esteem when you're pregnant which is great, but there isn't much about women that love their bodies.


I had a really good way to end this, but pregnancy brain has kicked in and I have no idea what I was going to say....



Maybe I'll remember later? Probably not ;)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment